Thursday, September 1, 2016

Rogue Trader Control Tower Challenge

Nothing says Rogue Trader like dessert tub terrain. With all of the cool modern stuff out there is it crazy to want a few buildings made from left over take out containers and drinking straws?


I'm going to basically build three buildings like those above - my core containers are shaped a little different, but the concept will be the same. Tan towers, minimalist detail, and a bit of weathering. No idea how long this will take, but I'll post updates as I go.

But why should I have all the fun? I'd like to challenge all of the RT community to come up with their own recycled terrain project in September (or devote a post or two to showing off stuff you already have - I know you're out there because I've seen stuff on your blogs before). Feel free to incorporate stuff from your bitz box to add details, but the main feature should be some plastic of styrofoam that started life as something mortal before you made it awesome!

No there's no prize, but I'd love to see what you come up with...

8 comments:

  1. I have two pieces sitting on my taming table right now waiting to be made into a control tower, actually. Or a guard tower. Or something tower like. And I have the obligatory butter-tub bunker on my shelf already. (Mine is grey and only one story, but the lineage is clear enough.) Challenge accepted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! The best terrain is always made from garbage! Can't wait to see what you come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classic buildings. Look forward to seeing yours

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, looking forward to your stuff! I made a building out of a follow-on milk can some months ago, I totally emphatise with this approach of yours :)
    Will be keeping an eye...

    ReplyDelete
  5. RTCT September! I've certainly got the rubbish, lets see if I can put something together in the next few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many years ago (90s), I was also inspired by that same image from Rogue Trader, and I did model some buildings for a Star Wars game using styrofoam, plastic caps from deo-sprays etc. Some images on my old site here:
    http://www.nirya.be/snv_old/GALLERY/sw.html
    I remember I also built a tower using yoghurt bins as shown in the original, but I have no recollection of where that went.

    Recently, I used some of those cardboard packaging shapes to quickly make some scifi buildings:
    http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/2015/12/simple-scifi-buildings-4.html
    http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/2016/08/simple-scifi-buildings-5.html
    And in action:
    http://snv-ttm.blogspot.be/2016/01/antares-mission-9-pictures.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's the stuff! I have some plastic packages around here like those in the second example... I think my router came in it. Anyway, probably another project!

      Thanks for sharing those...

      Delete